This is a partial list* of the healing tools and modalities I have experienced and found a degree, a percentage of relief from. There may not be anything that is a 100%, guaranteed, sustained success; but 5% relief from 20 different techniques comes pretty close.
Some of these tools I use daily like prayer and meditation, some as often as I can like walking in nature and eating clean foods, and some I will likely never try again like Kumbucha tea and Chelation.
Alternative does not always mean natural and natural does not always mean safe. It’s very unlikely that I will ever try Chinese herbs again seeing as the last time I did landed me in the hospital, or supplements like SAM-e mixed with pharmaceutical medications (mimicked heart attack). What works for one person, may not work for another. Here’s to whatever might work for you. Feel free to ask me any questions.
2. Meditation (individual, group, silence retreats, mindfulness, guided, and more)
3. Exercise: Walking, Swimming, Thai Chi, Qi Gong/ Qigong, Dancing, Running, Cycling, Aerobics, Isometrics, Rock Climbing, Hiking*, (became a certified personal trainer through the I.D.E.A certification program).
4. Music/Sound Therapy
5. Color/Crystal Therapy
6. Healers & Shamans (We visited healers from around the world: John of God, Henry Rucker, and many others*).
7. Psychoanalytical Therapy/EMDR/EFT
8. Art/Writing Therapy
9. Nature Therapy (sunshine & fresh air esp. near negative ions)
10. Water Therapy (hydronic massage)
12. Chiropractic Medicine/Massage/Acupressure/Reflexology
13. Cupping/Magnet therapy
14. Diets: Whole foods, raw foods, macrobiotic, liquid only, food combining, no sugar/no fat, The Maker’s Diet, The Blood Sugar Diet, vegan, gluten free, paleo, vegetarian, The Blood Type diet, Ayurvedic Diet,* (became certified nutritionist).
16. Essential Oils/Aromatherapy
17. Tiger Balm/Snake Oil
18. Oxygen Therapy
19. Yoga (Hatha, Kundalini, Pranayama, Ananda, and (Bikram – which led to an ER visit from over-heating).
20. Visualizations/Guided Imagery
21. Detox procedures: Foot Baths/Colonics
22. All heavy metals surgically removed from mouth/Chelation
23. The Garson Therapy (Juicing)
24. Supplementation (vitamins, minerals, herbs, cannabinoids, medications, kombucha tea).
25. Reiki (became a Reiki master), laying on of hands, body & energy work, running energy.
26. Setting Intentions
27. Touched the healing waters from Lourdes (a friend made a trek in my honor)
28. Self-Help/Positive thinking/Spiritual Endeavors/Health Gurus: Read and sometimes consulted personally with gurus. The Dalai Lama, Louise Hay, Ram Dass, Shakti Gwain, Pema Chodrun, Deepak Chopra, Wayne Dyer, Richard Carlson, Dale Carnegie, Gary Zukav, Elkhart Tolle, Neale Donald Walsch, Tony Robbins, Marianne Williamson (almost officiated our wedding), Paramahansa Yogananda, Rosemary Altea, Caroline Myss, Al-Anon, Dr. Andrew Weil, Dr. Mercola, Dr, Mark Hymen, Dr. Oz, Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Dr. Edward Taub (The Father of Integrative Medicine), Dr. Linus Pauling, Norman Cousins, (everything I could read on quantum physics & chaos theory), Ramamurti Shankar, Carlo Rovelli, Stephen Hawking, Lawrence Krauss, Bernard Haisch, The Secret, What the Bleep Do We Know? And more*)
29. Light Therapy/Infrared Box/Sauna
30. Multiple Medical Intuitives
31. Western medicine (I’ve seen over 200 physicians and specialists across three states, in five highly regarded hospitals in the past 30 plus years.)
32. Hypnosis (several different practitioners as well as self-hypnosis CDs, classes, and workshops)
33. Religious studies: Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, New Age, Religious Science (became ordained & received theology certificates of completion), Hinduism, Scientology, Islam, Bahá’í, Sufism, Science of Mind, Agape (became a practitioner).*
34. Lots, and lots, and lots of mind over matter determinism with a focus on gratitude
35. Bach Flower Remedies
36. Watched the Oprah show religiously and kept a gratitude journal, (for some reason this makes me laugh).
37. Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy
38. Tens Pack for pain/biofeedback
39. The Artists Way workbooks/The 12 Steps
40. Studied philosophy/Great Writers/poets: Seneca the Stoic, Epictetus, Confucius, Socrates, Maya Angelou, Descartes, Thoreau, Emerson, Whitman, Spinoza, Kierkegaard, Nora Zeale Hurston, Kate Chopin, Nietzsche, Voltair, Simone de Beauvoir, Virginia Woolf, and many, many more*
I’ve done my best. This doesn’t include all the junk I bought off late night infomercials believing my life would change if I did. I’m no longer searching for the seemingly, ever elusive, magic pill; but I’ll continue to stay open to it should it present itself. Acceptance isn’t Giving up, it’s finding peace within the storm.